What is a Crown or Bow in Carpentry Terms?
This refers to the curve that any board used in the construction takes. If you put the board on its side and look at it whichever side is curved outward is known as the crown. Usually these boards are applied to the overall construction with the crown side up. This is for the purpose of holding its integrity better when under the standard pressures of everyday use of the finished product. It essentially allows the force applied to the wood to be distributed to both ends of the board rather than to the center where it is liable to crack and give way.
Home Improvement & Carpentry Terms Reference
Learn the definition of many home improvement and carpentry terms
- Pearson Biology Page 72 Answers Section 3.2
- Pearson Biology Page 98 Answers Section 4.1
- Pearson Biology Page 49 Answers Section 2.3
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 67 Answers Chapter 4 Test Your Understanding California
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 56 Answers Section 3.3 Concept Check California