When was the Moon Formed?
The prevailing theory claims that the moon was formed about 30-50 million years after the Solar System. The “giant impact theory” seems to be what formed the moon. According to this theory, the Earth was without a moon until it was hit by another planet, which instantly vaporized. Supposedly, the impact created a cloud that became known as the moon. So there is no real date you can put on when the moon was formed because it is believed to be formed before time came into existence.
- Pearson Biology Page 72 Answers Section 3.2
- Pearson Biology Page 98 Answers Section 4.1
- Pearson Biology Page 49 Answers Section 2.3
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 67 Answers Chapter 4 Test Your Understanding California
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 56 Answers Section 3.3 Concept Check California