What is the World’s Longest Word?
The longest word in the world is the full chemical name the protein titin with a total of 189,819 letters: Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminylarginyl...isoleucine. There is some dispute as to whether it is a real word or not, however. The longest word to officially appear in a dictionary is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. It is the name of a lung disease that is caused by inhalation of mineral dust.
Find out more amazing world records in our World Record Series.
- Pearson Biology Page 72 Answers Section 3.2
- Pearson Biology Page 98 Answers Section 4.1
- Pearson Biology Page 49 Answers Section 2.3
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 67 Answers Chapter 4 Test Your Understanding California
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 56 Answers Section 3.3 Concept Check California