What is the Biggest Living Thing in the World?
The world’s biggest living thing is a giant fungus in the Malheur National Forest, Oregon. It spans a total of 2200 acres of area or just short of 9 km². This enormous mushroom is of a special species called Armillaria Ostoyae, or Honey Mushrooms. There has been some debate as to whether or not this mushroom is indeed one organism or many together in a colony.
Find out more amazing world records in our World Record Series.
- Pearson Biology Page 72 Answers Section 3.2
- Pearson Biology Page 98 Answers Section 4.1
- Pearson Biology Page 49 Answers Section 2.3
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 67 Answers Chapter 4 Test Your Understanding California
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 56 Answers Section 3.3 Concept Check California