What is a Valkyrie? Norse Mythology Angel
The term Valkyrie is referenced often in music and in literature, but what does it mean? A Valkyrie is a female angelic figure in ancient Norse mythology. The word Valkyrie means “chooser of the slain” in old Norse. The Valkyries rode horses down from Asgard to pick who would fall in great battles. They took the dead from the field and brought them to Valhalla, the great hall of Norse Heaven, presided over by Odin, the leader of the Gods. The Valkyries are often depicted wearing winged helmets and wielding swords, although combat is not their primary purpose.
- Pearson Biology Page 72 Answers Section 3.2
- Pearson Biology Page 98 Answers Section 4.1
- Pearson Biology Page 49 Answers Section 2.3
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 67 Answers Chapter 4 Test Your Understanding California
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 56 Answers Section 3.3 Concept Check California