What is Waziristan?
Waziristan is a remote province of Pakistan, in the north-west region of the country. Waziristan borders Afganistan, and is very remote - indeed, it is not directly administered by the central government of Pakistan, but rather, is under the control of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
The province has become overrun with Taliban fighters, perhaps largely because of its highly porous border with Afganistan. The area has seen intense scrutiny by the media as the U.S.-led war in Afganistan has grown in scale.
It has been reported that Taliban forces actively govern many areas in Waziristan, and that in some cases, what little presence the central government had has been driven out. The central government has responded by increasing spending on police in Waziristan, and by outfitting them with improved equipment, such as armored personnel carriers.
- Pearson Biology Page 72 Answers Section 3.2
- Pearson Biology Page 98 Answers Section 4.1
- Pearson Biology Page 49 Answers Section 2.3
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 67 Answers Chapter 4 Test Your Understanding California
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 56 Answers Section 3.3 Concept Check California