How to make European hot chocolate at home without a mix or machine
European hot chocolate is a delicious and sophisticated drink they can be made very easily in your own kitchen without any special ingredients or equipment. Microwave half a cup of water and a tablespoon of sugar for one minute or until boiling. Chop up one ounce of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate and place it in a mug. Pour a few tablespoons of the hot water over it and stir it with a spoon. Gradually add more water as it starts to melt, until it is fully mixed. Microwave ½ cup of milk for one minute or until hot. Stir this into the chocolate mixture. Add a tablespoon of cold cream if you have some. Top with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, cocoa powder, cinnamon, or ground nutmeg if you desire.
Mocha: use a shot of espresso or coffee in place of the water. You can easily make your own espresso with a stovetop espresso maker. You can buy one at Target, Wal-Mart or Amazon for $7. Read our guide to making espresso without a machine for more details.
Add a half teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract to give it extra flavor.
Add ¼ cup of almonds and grind thoroughly in a blender for thick, frothy Mexican-style hot chocolate.
- Pearson Biology Page 72 Answers Section 3.2
- Pearson Biology Page 98 Answers Section 4.1
- Pearson Biology Page 49 Answers Section 2.3
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 67 Answers Chapter 4 Test Your Understanding California
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 56 Answers Section 3.3 Concept Check California