How to Fix Diablo 2 TCP/IP Multiplayer: Ports, Hamachi, and the “Cannot Connect to Server” Error
Diablo 2 has always been a fun and challenging game, especially in multiplayer. However, there are currently problems with setting up TCP/IP multiplayer games. Fortunately, there are some straightforward fixes that can solve these issues quickly and without the need to pore over irrelevant and badly written forum posts. There are two steps involved that will be covered in this guide: opening firewall ports and setting up Hamachi. Both of these are quite simple if you follow these steps.
1. Opening Firewall Ports: Diablo 2 does not have compatibility with many newer computer firewalls in their default settings. This can easily be fixed though by telling your firewall to allow the ports needed by Diablo 2 multiplayer games. Open the Start Menu Control Panel Windows Firewall Exceptions tab. Here you can add ports to a list using the Add Port button. This will open a smaller box with fields for Name, Port Number, and checkboxes for TCP or UDP. Add these ports, all with the name Diablo 2:
TCP 6112 through 6119 (i.e. 6112, 6113, 6114, etc)
UDP 6112 through 6119
2. Setting Up Hamachi: Hamachi is a simple but useful program that lets you set up artificial local area networks over the internet. Hamachi is made by a legitimate software company and does not contain any form of spyware or virus. If you have doubts about this, please feel free to look up software reviews about it.
First, download and install Hamachi from their website. Select the free version and the unmanaged option, and make sure that you agree with their conditions of use. Install Hamachi and run it. In Hamachi, click the power button (next to it is text saying “click here to get started”). This will prompt you to create an account and a session. Send the information for the session to other players and have them join the session using Hamachi. Once they are connected you will see their names under yours on the list. Host the TCP/IP game in Diablo 2 and have the other players join it using the IP number that appears next to your name in Hamachi. This number will be different from your normal IP number. The other players should be able to join you and start playing without any errors. Any time you want to start another TCP/IP game after this, simply start Hamachi first and have the other players join your session as before. Have fun!
Disclaimer: Our opinion as to the security of the software Hamachi is based upon our own experiences on a Windows XP machine with Norton Antivirus running. Your own experiences may vary and we cannot guarantee your computer's safety. Please exercise appropriate caution. This article is for informational purposes only.
- Pearson Biology Page 72 Answers Section 3.2
- Pearson Biology Page 98 Answers Section 4.1
- Pearson Biology Page 49 Answers Section 2.3
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 67 Answers Chapter 4 Test Your Understanding California
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 56 Answers Section 3.3 Concept Check California