How much does a Children’s Book Writer/Author make per Year? Average Annual Salary Range
Children’s literature is a lucrative career for many in today’s economic conditions. A moderately successful children’s writer earns an average of $65,000 per year. Most children’s writers earn between $17,000 and $93,000 per year. Best-selling authors often earn much more than these figures. The author of a children’s book is generally paid either a royalty from sale of the book or a one-time flat fee. Royalties amount to about 6% to 8% of book sales for paperbacks, and about 10% to 11% for hardcover. When working with an illustrator on picture books, the royalties are usually split evenly between the author and artist. Flat fee payment is more common when more than one author works on a single title, or when licensed characters and settings are being used. Children’s authors are generally paid an advance of half upon signing of the contract, and the other half upon delivery of the finished product.
Job and Career Information Series
Learn more about the salary, benefits, education requirements, and hiring requirements of many jobs and careers in our ongoing information series.
- Pearson Biology Page 72 Answers Section 3.2
- Pearson Biology Page 98 Answers Section 4.1
- Pearson Biology Page 49 Answers Section 2.3
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 67 Answers Chapter 4 Test Your Understanding California
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 56 Answers Section 3.3 Concept Check California
- How Much Does an Average Teacher Get Paid/Earn Per Year?
- How Much Does an Average Writer Make Per Year?
- How Much Does an Average Website Make/Earn Per Year? Average Website Income/Profit/Earnings
- How Much Does a Petrologist Make Per Year? Average Petrologist Salary
- How Much Does a Ranji Player Make Per Year? Average Ranji Player Salary