How do you make mayonnaise?
Homemade mayonnaise is quite different from what you buy at the store. It has a delicious tangy flavor and is much easier to make than you might think if you know this little trick. In a blender or food processor combine three peeled garlic cloves, about two tablespoons of lemon juice, ½ teaspoon of salt and three tablespoons of unsweetened soy milk. Traditionally you would use egg yolks instead of soy milk, but the soy milk has stronger emulsifiers than the eggs and so makes the process much easier. Grind these up together until smooth. Now gradually add in a cup of olive oil while the blender is going. This will mix in quite smoothly and start to look like mayonnaise. Don’t mix much more than you need to or it can sometimes separate out. Serve with boiled artichokes, asparagus, in potato salad, or in your favorite sandwich.
- Pearson Biology Page 72 Answers Section 3.2
- Pearson Biology Page 98 Answers Section 4.1
- Pearson Biology Page 49 Answers Section 2.3
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 67 Answers Chapter 4 Test Your Understanding California
- Campbell AP Biology 9th Edition Page 56 Answers Section 3.3 Concept Check California